The estimated reading time for this post is 232 seconds
[Repost 10/22/2015] I retired from my stint as a freelance magazine story writer for Women’s Edition after enjoying monthly job assignments from January 2012 through September 2013. Shortly afterwards, the magazine’s owner and founder left our Des Moines, market. They continue to publish from Omaha, Lincoln, Denver and Colorado Springs.
I gained many skills, read on after reviewing this brief summary of the business owners and associates of companies throughout Des Moines, Iowa I interviewed about their business and wrote creative stories:
Summary of My Writing Stories for Women’s Edition
By Amy E. Botkin
- LuGene Isleman & Heidi Wilson “Your Center for Wellness, Rejuvenation and Body Balancing”, for a Healthy Living Story
- PrimeSource Mortgage “Meet the Ladies that Walk You Home” a Business Style Story
- Attorney Diane Dornberg “Passionate About Helping Families”, for an Out & About Story
- Burgin Drapery Workroom “We Do It All!”, a Business Style Story
- Things On Douglas “An eccletic blend of new and consigned furniture and home décor”, for an Out & About Story
- Douglas Dental, “A Dental Clinic With Experienced Staff At Your Service”, for a Healthy Living Story
- Dr. BJ Foust, Foust Family Dental Care, for an Out & About Story
- Noelle Carroll at Simply Organized, “Organizing Clutter and Chaos”, for a Business Style story
- Dale Carnegie, “Turning Potential Into Performance”, for a Business Style Story
- The Funky Zebras an Out and About story
- Anderson Animal Hospital, “We Care for ALL Critters” a Business Style Story
- Barb Diment Law Office for A Business Style story
- Dan Bishop owner of A-1 Concrete Leveling for a Business Style Story
- Ann Hartz, CPA for a View From The Top story
- Applebee’s, a Healthy Living Story
After participating in a Murder Mystery back in 2001, with my good friend, I had an incredible story to tell. But I didn’t do it! I swear. I was too busy. Not me! I’m the maid here, how could I? Maybe I’ll post it someday! [Another update as of 10/22/2015, I actually just found pictures from that evening (going through pictures & stuff)! As sneaky killer suspects, we were particularly odd looking….I may scan 1 or 2 pictures in.]
I will find that story I wrote and link it……have you ever participated in a Murder Mystery? It was fun to travel to Bellevue, Iowa for this work assignment, spend the night in a beautiful mansion, be involved in a murder, write and get paid! I remember meeting a white cat with secrets near the river…..
I love to read and I love to write!
I hope to write for publications in the future. At this time, with my business rocking (tons of reading, research and report writing); bloggin’; the need to study, research and write out responses to discussion questions, prepare term papers and projects for my current rehabilitation counseling forensic coursework through GWU….it would be way too beastly wild for me to do it all. [Update from original post Oct 7, 2013…Yep! Completed that goal!…no not becoming a wild beast, but receiving a post graduate degree!]
Wild Beast Amy
Seriously however, I benefited in numerous ways during this time of writing for publication. My interview, research, creativity and writing skills improved! I met many professionals in my community and made great business connections. Interviewing business owners provided me indepth insight into self employment and small business ownership. (I knew quite a bit however, being in this same boat since 1999!)
Plus, I requested a recommendation letter, which Kelcie Warren kindly wrote. Thank you Kelcie!
I personally give thumbs up recommendations for several of the businesses from other than my angle of writing their story because I became a customer of their establishment/business (if you need your driveway raised, Dan Bishop owner of A-1 Concrete Leveling does an excellent job); became a business connection of their services…and yes even gathered new friendships! (Ann Hartz, CPA, she and I were in boot camp together!)
Thumbs Up: Attorney Diane Dornberg, The Funky Zebras, Anderson Animal Hospital, Dan Bishop, Ann Hartz, CPA, Dale Carnegie and of course Applebee’s!
I’ll likely add to this blog in the near future, because of an important part of my retirement…….asking for a reference letter…..from the publisher of Women’s Edition…it’s in the mail to me! And you can find the reference letter on my website over yonder under documents for download.
My professional rehabilitation counseling practice is focused on helping people participate in the world around them, particularly in their own world of work.